To promote and protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the residents of the City of Dunbar through active and diligent administering and enforcement of Dunbar’s Planning and Zoning Code and Building/Housing Code, as well as, the International Building Code adopted by the State of West Virginia and the City of Dunbar.
5 Reasons To Obtain Permits
- Inspections - Performed by certified inspector(s)
- Safety - For your family and home
- Peace of Mind - Knowing the job was done right
- Consistent Standards - Ensures safe construction standards
- Value - Protects your biggest investment
Building Permits and Fees
1305.02 Building Permit Required; Application.
- No building or structure shall be erected, added to, or structurally altered until a permit therefore has been issued by the Zoning Officer. All applications for such permits shall be in accordance with the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance, and, unless upon written order of the Board, no such building permit or certificate of occupancy shall be issued for any building where such construction, addition, alteration, for use thereof would be in violation of any of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.
- There shall be submitted with all applications for building permits, two copies of a layout or plot to be built upon, the exact size and location of the building on the lot and accessory buildings to be erected and other such information as may be necessary to determine and provide for the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance.
- For more information, see Article 1305.
1725.01 Building Permit Fees.
- Inspection of Existing Building. For the inspection of an old building by request of owner - $20.00.
- Renovation. For renovation, construction, alterations, excavations or structural work of any kind, the cost is as follows:
|Cost of Work
||Building Permit Fee
|300.00 to $1,000.00
|$1,001.00 to $1,500.00
In excess of $2,500.00, the fee is $19.00 plus an additional $4.00 for each thousand dollar cost or fraction thereof in excess of $2,500.00 up to $30,000.00.
In excess of $30,000.00, the fee is $131.00 plus an additional $3.00 for each thousand dollar cost or fraction thereof.
- Demolition Permits
|Dwellings or Structures
Exception: In any project where cost of demolition exceeds $5,500.00, the schedule relating to permit fees under building permit fees shall be applied.
- Gasoline and Oil Tanks. Permits for installation of gasoline tanks, oil tanks, or pumps which may cause fire or explosions shall have a fee of $20.00 per tank installed. The installation and/or removal of any tanks shall be done in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency of West Virginia.
- Sign Permits. The fees for such permits shall be computed on the basis of square foot area with each sign face calculated as an individual sign, as follows:
Ground, roof, wall, projecting, or marquee
|Minimum fee for permit to erect or move
|Non-Electrical, for each square foot
|Electrical signs internally lighted, for each square foot
|Electrical signs externally lighted, for each square foot
- For more information, see Article 1725.